Family law involves domestic relationships between married and unmarried partners and their children. Although it generally consists of civil legal proceedings in divorce and juvenile courts, it may also include criminal proceedings when the government prosecutes individuals for child and spousal abuse.
At the Law Offices of Steven M. Werner, P.C. in Colorado Springs, I represent clients in all areas of family law, including:
- Divorce: I guide clients through every step in the divorce process in Colorado. I also handle military divorce issues.
- Marital property division: Marital property includes assets and debts accumulated during your marriage, including real estate, automobiles, furniture, bank accounts, securities, 401(k) accounts and pensions.
- Alimony and spousal support: Though spousal support is not awarded in every case, it is important to note that the length of the marriage, the age of the parties and the income-earning potential of the petitioning spouse are considered.
- Child custody and support: In Colorado, child custody and visitation are known as parental time. Both parties will share custody unless there is a strong reason not to.
- Domestic violence proceedings and restraining orders: If you are accused of spousal abuse, you can be subject to consequences that are as serious as jail time.
- Post-dissolution modification: I handle post-divorce issues for clients, such as the modification of child custody, child support and alimony orders.
Whether your case arises in civil or criminal courts, you should consult with a lawyer to determine what rights you have and what consequences you may face. Although you may be able to handle your family law case yourself in certain circumstances, you should make that decision with some knowledge of the law and your ability to represent yourself.
For more information about family law or to schedule a Colorado Springs family law attorney consultation: Call 719-473-4885 or fill out the contact form on this website. My law office is located near the courthouse in Colorado Springs.