Child Relocation

Colorado Springs Child Relocation Lawyer

Are you a divorced or unmarried parent who is considering a move out of state or to another area of Colorado? Are you a divorced or unmarried parent who is concerned about the other parent relocating with your shared children? Child relocation can be a contested issue no matter what side you are on. With help from a skilled Black Forest child move-away lawyer, you can be sure you are going through the proper legal steps to either seek or oppose the relocation.

At the Law Offices of Steven M. Werner, P.C., in Colorado Springs, I provide experienced legal representation to parents involved in move-away cases. Whether your goal is to relocate with your child or children or to contest a move, you can turn to my law firm with confidence.

Black Forest Child Move-Away Attorney

Whatever side of the relocation issue you are on, you should be aware of the proper steps. The parent who wishes to relocate with the child or children is required by law to provide written notice to the other parent. The written notice must include:

As a Colorado Springs child relocation attorney, I advocate for the best interests of the child or children. The courts will consider nine factors in making the determination. They are:

  • Reasons for the relocation
  • Reasons for objecting to the relocation
  • History and quality of parent-child relationship
  • Educational opportunities in present community and/or new community
  • Presence of extended family in present community and/or new community
  • Benefits of child(ren) remaining with custodial parent
  • Impact the move will have on the child(ren)
  • Parenting time and visitation considerations
  • Other factors concerning the best interests of the child(ren)

If you are seeking to relocate with your child or children, it is very important that you follow proper procedure. In the worse-case scenario, if you do not do this, you can be charged with kidnapping.

As your lawyer, I am dedicated to protecting your rights, helping you maintain a meaningful relationship with your child or children and making sure you are following Colorado state laws regarding move-aways.

Military Relocations and Children

I am a former officer with the Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps and frequently represent military service members, veterans and their families in military divorce and other legal issues. I understand the nature of temporary tours of duty and overseas deployments and the legal issues that can arise from these situations. If you are on active duty and will be required to move with your children, I can assist you and your child or children.

For more information about child relocation or to schedule a consultation with a Colorado Springs child relocation lawyer: Call me locally at 719-473-4885 or toll free at 719-473-4885 or fill out the contact form on this website. My law office is located near the courthouse in Colorado Springs.