Child Custody and Support

Child Custody and Support Lawyer in Colorado Springs Child CustodyHelping You Preserve Your Relationships With Your Children

If you have children, you and your ex will need to keep lines of communication open with regard to raising your children. However, issues such as parenting time and relocation can drive a wedge between parents that continues long after the divorce is final. By resolving parenting issues in a civil manner during your divorce, you can help set the tone for how you deal with issues that arise in the future.

At the Law Offices of Steven M. Werner, P.C. in Colorado Springs, I will try to keep the emotions of divorce from having a negative effect on your relationship with your children.

Child Custody and Parenting Time

There are two types of child custody in Colorado:

  • Legal custody, which includes educational, medical and religious decisions.
  • Physical custody, which is known as "parenting time".

In Colorado, legal and physical custody is usually shared, except in cases of abuse or child endangerment. However, one parent will usually have the right to establish the primary residence of the child.

If you and your spouse cannot agree on parenting time, the court will decide based on the best interests of your children. As your lawyer, I can help you present your case in terms of your child's best interests.

Representing Unmarried Parents in Paternity Actions

Unmarried parents have the same rights and obligations with respect to child custody and support as married parents. However, before an unmarried mother can obtain child support or an unmarried father can obtain court-ordered visitation, paternity must first be established.

If the parents do not agree who the father is, it will be determined using a DNA test.

Colorado Child Support Guidelines

The amount of parenting time you have can effect on the amount of child support you pay or receive. Once a parent has at least 93 overnight visits a year, then child support payments will be lower than if the parent had 92 overnight visits or less.

Child support payments can be modified after divorce if there is a substantial change in the income of either parent. For example, if you lose your job or get a lower paying job, child support payments can often be reduced. If you get a higher paying job, your spouse can request that payments be recalculated based on your new income.

For more information about child custody or support or to schedule an attorney consultation: Call 719-473-4885 or fill out the contact form on this Web site. My law office is located near the courthouse in Colorado Springs.